Sunday, February 17, 2008

Quirky Movie Taste


With the oscars coming up, I figured I should write about a few movies that I have liked this year. I have a baby, so most of my movie watching is through Netflix, so I apologize if I am behind on the times. I have learned after my last blog on a movie (Lars and the Real Girl) that I have quirky movie taste. But recently I have found many others who like these films. Obviously, there are things that I don't like about these movies (disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer), but I am drawn to movies like these because they communicate so much about our culture and also are usually in some way redemptive.

1. Juno. They take a very serious subject and at times make light of it. But the writing is pretty hilarious and Ellen Page does an incredible job. There is so much to say about this movie. I think it communicates the longing for meaning and redemption and the many places we try to find it.
2. Once. This is a story told through music in Ireland. I wonder how many people who "used" to play the guitar picked it back up after this movie. Great story and well done.
3. Reign Over Me. I always like Don Cheadle. This was a movie that I didn't hear about until I rented it. I thought it was very a very compelling story about healing for both characters.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I think you have great movie taste. Out of the 3 you reviewed I've only seen Once, but I do really want to see Juno.

I saw a preview for Smart People with Ellen Page. Here's a link for it, it looks pretty good....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/smartpeople/trailer/