Monday, January 07, 2008

Back from East Asia


We are back from East Asia and had an absolutely awesome time. I have so many stories and thoughts. I am a little out of it from the jet lag, but here are a few to start with. The average student had barely even heard of Jesus. That shocked me but it gave us some freedom to share the gospel without any preconceived notions. The education system has, in my opinion, not really given most of the students the freedom to think. They all answer spiritual questions the exact same. But surprisingly to me, it was very easy to talk about Jesus and share my beliefs.
On the other hand, the Christian students were a joy. Their faces lit up when you mention the name of Jesus. I had the opportunity to teach (with a translator of course) and it was such a blessing to hear how passionate they are for both their relationship with God and also about reaching their country for Jesus. In a small group that I attended, almost every student asked for prayer to see their family or their friends come to know Jesus. Their stories and their passion was such an encouragement to my faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a great experience. Thanks for sharing how it went. It's really interesting to me to see how canned their responses were. I told J-Dub about this and she had the same experience.

Jan said...

I remember asking students what they believed in and most of them answered by saying they believed in themselves. I cannot wait to get together with you guys and hear more.