Monday, December 10, 2007

moved and shaken



Sub-merge: Living Deep in a Shallow World is a great read on ministry among the poor. This book is a practical guide for his ministry called innerCHANGE. They are "committed to expressing the kingdom of God in needy neighborhoods in both word and work, in holistic union.” He says, that his life and ministry focusues less on the movers and the shakers in this world and more on the moved and shaken (283). This book is one of the best that I have read on ministry among the margins. Ironically, in the margins of this book, he tells story after compelling story about ministry among the poor.

In a convicting section of the book, he gives the reader a very balanced approach to our responsiblity to the poor. He says, that everyone knows about poverty, but not that many of us know the poor. He is balanced, biblical, practical and concludes with an understanding that ministry among the poor is both discipline and devotion. I recommend this book to anyone that wants to take their ministry to the poor from mere community service to devotion to the Lord.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for the recommendation and review. I just finished with The Irresistible Revolution and I think this book would interest me greatly!

Jeff Fritsche said...

I have heard good things about that book too. Let me know what you think about it.