Tuesday, October 16, 2007

urban influence


My friend gave me an article by Marvin Olasky from World Magazine. Olasky is currently living in NYC, but usually lives in Austin from what I understand. It is pretty obvious that he, like others is being influenced by Tim Keller's theology of the city by Olasky's article entitled "urban calling." He said in this article:

"Today, sadly, the pattern is reversed: Christians are mostly in the countryside, and city dwelling pagani (pagans) dominate journalism, education, the arts, and so on."
I lament the fact that for the most part these disciplines such as art, journalism, education are not driven by the gospel. And I think we have missed our calling if we think it is our job as Christians to stay out of those arenas. I think it is the opposite. We need Christians who are artists, song writers, journalists, educators, engineers, doctors, etc.
He quotes one of my favorite verses about the city from Jeremiah 29. We have been talking about this passage in our Exiles series at the Gathering on the book of Esther. Jeremiah denounces the idea that it will all get better and that we shouldn't move into these arenas. Instead he says "build houses and live in them...seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare."
I look into our community and I see doctors, engineers, artists, writers, musicians, business people, non-profit starters who motivated by the gospel are ready to play a redemptive role in this city. The post on our Gathering blog asked the real practical question and I ask it here: what is the first step for us to start influencing the city?

No comments: