Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A good read:This week I have really enjoyed: Real Sex: the naked truth about chastity by Lauren Winner. I honestly recommend everyone to read this book whether single or married. It is great on chastity but also great on a gospel understanding of married sex. The whole thing is great, but here is a quote that I think particulary pegs our false thinking.

"We are not sure whether bodies are good or bad: it follows that we are not sure whether sex is good or bad. The Christian view of bodies - that is, God's view of bodies - cannot be abstracted from the biblical account of creation. God created people with bodies, and God declared that they were good.... we've learned to reduce sex and everything else bodily, to something that has only utilitarian function."

3 comments:

Jonathan Dodson said...

yeah, i enjoyed that book too. here Biblical-theological approach is refreshing in an all too practice saturated genre

Jeff Fritsche said...

I couldn't agree more. I love the way she highlighted that most of the statements on sexual immorality are couched in language about the gospel. I taught the Young Marrieds class today about our cultural view of sex. It was great to hear their thoughts on how our culture affects our marriages.

Jonathan Dodson said...

send me your notes!